Peach Dump CakeLarge Dutch Oven
Team Bakun Camps at Starved Rock State Park. Team Bates has fun at Green Briar Lake ,Dugger, IN(Sullivan County)
Here are a few photos from the weekend.
Team Bakun Leading Scoring Team for this week.
Team Bakun led the week in scoring with 25 plus points. The amount of bonus and cooking points will be determined, when they get their Starved Rock State Park photos to us.
The leading team is still Team Bates.
Now is the time and weather to go out and have camping fun.
Team Bates bird photographs.
Here are Team Bates bird pictures. They were taken at Starved Rock State Park, and Brown County State Park.
Here are some new challenges.
1) Take photos of five different bird species while on a camping trip and identify them. (3 points)
2) Take photos of five different insect species and identify them. When you send the photos with the identifications let us know what park you were camping at.(Where were the bugs) (3 Points)
3) Take a picture or pictures of five different sea or lake creatures on the shore and identify them, while on a camping trip. That maybe tough, so we will accept a photo(s) of you in Amazing Camp-Land Race tee shirt and the sea or lake creatures at the Shedd Aquarium, Sea World, or the Indianapolis Zoo. (3 Points).
4) Take photos of five different Butterfly or Moth species and identify them (3 Points)
Good luck and keep having fun
Much of the camping season is still in front of us. Two of the teams have gotten out, even with the non camping friendly weather. They have participated in numerous race activities. Teams Bates and Sayers have enjoyed themselves.They have found birds nests,have gone geocaching,cooked,have taken pictures of flowers,water falls, frogs, snakes, and camping at Starved Rock State Park . This is what camping fun is all about.
Currently Team Bates leads the race standings with 76 points, followed by Team Sayers with 48 points . You other teams; there is still plenty of time to have fun and catch the leaders.
DESTINATION CAMPING SITES for THE AMAZING CAMP-LAND RACE
Following is a partial list of Destinations and other Challenges for the
Season-Long Game of Camping Fun and Adventure. The Outdoor
Hobbies and Activities Challenges will be found in a separate post.
Proof of fulfilling the Destination Challenges will be a photo of a family
member in their official Race Shirt by the Park entrance sign and a
second photo with your tent or camper at your campsite. Bonus points
for visiting a landmark in or near the Park will require two photos proving
you were there. Please note that if you are camping at a camp site
other than the designated Park, you could still score the Bonus Points
by visiting the Bonus Landmark as a Day.
DESTINATION STATE PARKS IN OUR FOUR-STATE AREA (IL, IN, MI, WI)
[25 Points, Possible bonus of 5 points]
ILLINOIS CAMPING SITES
- STARVED ROCK STATE PARK BONUS: Visit a waterfall.
- LINCOLN’S NEW SALEM STATE HISTORIC SITE BONUS: Visit inside the Blacksmith Shop
- NAUVOO STATE PARK BONUS: Visit nearby 1846 Historic Nauvoo visitor
Center http://www.historicnauvoo.net/ and the Browning Home and Gunsmith Shop in Historic Nauvoo
- APPLE CREEK CANYON STATE PARK BONUS: Take 2 good photos of a family member in the Canyon
- PERE MARQUETTE STATE PARK BONUS: Take a guided Nature Hike with a Ranger
INDIANA CAMPING SITES
- INDIANA DUNES STATE PARK BONUS: (a) Visit the Nature Center or (b) Visit the platform on Mt. Tom
- TURKEY RUN STATE PARK BONUS: Float down Sugar Creek in a canoe
- McCORMICK CREEK STATE PARK BONUS: Hike to the Twin Bridges rock formation
- SPRING MILL STATE PARK BONUS: Visit the Mill
- BROWN COUNTY STATE PARK BONUS: (a) Enjoy the view from West Lookout blockhouse or (b) Visit the nearby town of Nashville, Indiana
MICHIGAN CAMPING SITES
- GRAND HAVEN STATE PARK BONUS: Visit The Musical Fountain
- HOLLAND STATE PARK BONUS: Photograph the Windmill in the town of Holland
- TAHQUAMENON FALLS STATE PARK BONUS: Take a photo of the falls from 2 different view points
- WARREN DUNES STATE PARK BONUS: Photos on top of Mt. Randall
- PORCUPINE MOUNTAINS WILDERNESS STATE PARK BONUS: Visit Lake of the Clouds
WISCONSIN CAMPING SITES
- COPPER FALLS STATE PARK BONUS: Waterfalls on Doughboy’s Nature Trail
- DEVIL’S LAKE STATE PARK BONUS: Balanced Rock Formation
- PENINSULA STATE PARK BONUS: (a) Eagle Bluff Lighthouse or(b) Peninsula two-step Geocache
- KOHLER-ANDRAE STATE PARK BONUS: Visit Sanderling Nature Centerand photograph the piece of the keel of the “Challenge”
- KETTLE MORAINE STATE FOREST-NORTHERN UNIT BONUS: Reach the top of the Parnell Tower
FEATURED NATIONWIDE CAMPGROUNDS [25 Points each, Possible 5 point Bonus]
- MAMMOTH CAVE NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Take a funny picture inside the cave.
- ACADIA NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Acadia has 12-foot tides. Safely explore the intertidal zone at low tide. Take two interesting photographs of what you find.
- LIBBY’S OCEANSIDE CAMP, York Harbor, Maine • Libby’s Oceanside Camp, York Harbor, Maine http://libbysoceancamping.com./ (Bonus: Make photo with lighthouse in the background) BONUS: Take photographs with the lighthouse in the background)
- GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Safely take a picture of a Black Bear (not a close-up)
- LOUISBOURG RV PARK on the Waterfront http://louisbourg.com/motorhomepark/ Cape Breton Highlands Park, Nova Scotia — BONUS: Visit Louisbourg Fortress (Score a double-bonus if you are lucky enough to photograph a live musical performance at the Louisbourg Playhouse next to the RV Park.)
- YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Take a photo of Yellowstone Falls & one of Old Faithful erupting.
- ZION NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Take a trail ride on a horse
- GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Ride a mule down into the Canyon
- EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK BONUS: Photograph an Alligator and a white bird.
- PADRE ISLAND NATIONAL SEASHORE BONUS: Photo of yourself either surf fishing or posing with a surf fisherman (for a special treat, try camping on the beach at South Beach Campground –no hookups anywhere in the Park)
The Season-Long Game of CAMPING Fun and Adventure will reward you for completing Challenges.
You don’t need to complete any specific Challenge, but any one you do complete adds to your point total for the season. Reaching certain point goals during the summer will win prizes and personal satisfaction. Having the highest totals at the end of the season will win bigger prizes – AND SOME GLORY!
Challenges that earn points will include the following:
- Favorite camping recipes and campfire cooking
- Camping hobbies & activities (Everything from Geocaching to fishing to leaf collecting & more)
- Overnight or longer camping visits at any campground in the US, Canada or Mexico
- Camping at specially targeted National, State or Private Parks within our 4-state area of IN, IL, WI & MI.
- Overnight camping at specially targeted National, State or Private Parks outside our 4-state area.
- Bonus points for visiting designated places & landmarks within the targeted Parks
- Camping at targeted Events like festivals, rallies, etc
Participants will receive helpful information about exciting places to camp in the 4-state area surrounding Chicagoland-NW Indiana, as well as some more distant camping destinations. Also, ideas about activities that will make your camping trips more interesting for yourselves and children of all ages.
More details will be coming soon. Stay tuned!
Camp-Land’s season-long game of camping fun and adventure will be starting soon! The game is open to everyone in the Chicagoland-NW Indiana area that loves to go camping — families, couples, solo campers. Everyone, young and old. Whether you camp in a tent, a trailer, a 5th wheel or a motorhome, you are invited to join the fun.
There will be prizes for reaching goals throughout the season as well as some competitive winners at the end of the summer. It’s a little like a camping club that doesn’t have meetings, a little like camping with friends that you may never see, a little like the real TV Amazing Race, but mostly it’s about discovering new camping places and new ways to enjoy camping. There will be information and ideas about places to camp close to the Chicago area, as well as some that are farther away. You can score points by just going camping, cooking your favorite camping recipe, visiting a waterfall, going fishing with your child or grandchild, making a leaf collection or doing dozens of other things that are fun.
Details will be posted here on the Camp-Land RV blog over the next few weeks. A scoreboard will also be posted here as the game proceeds through the summer. The Race is scheduled to begin in early May. Check our blog often for further details. The fun will soon begin!